Sunday, October 31, 2010
A Pain in the Neck!
Okay. I feel pretty silly explaining this, but I am going to do it anyway. I have sprained my neck, again. In March of 2004 I sprained it originally while jumping in a big, blow-up, play house with my children for their birthdays. It was absolute torture for almost two weeks after that. I had just learned I was pregnant and so would not take any pain meds and woke up crying every night for a week just because I tried turning over in my sleep. What makes me feel silly now is not that I sustained an injury in a semi-harmless manner, but the ways in which I continue to re-injure it. About every 9 months since then I have managed to aggravate my neck again and again. Once I did it by leaving a towel circled around my wet hair and started working on my kids' scrapbooks. The weight of the towel coupled with leaning over the albums caused too much strain. Again, out for another week. Unable to turn at the neck, roll over at night or pick up things off the floor without using a full squat. Another time I sprained it by showing my kids how to rock out to Michael Jackson just shortly after his death when they were playing his songs for the entire week. We were headed to Day Camp and they were laughing at me for singing so loud and "banging" my head. Within a about 4 minutes I regretted that little display. The worst has to be this Saturday that while I was shampooing my hair I felt a burning in the back of my neck and quickly realized that I could not tilt my chin up in order to rinse. Shampoo! For crying out loud. One other time I can recall setting it off was when helping a friend to paint her house. She was short and so painted the lower half of every room. I, being taller, took to painting the upper half to the ceiling. All that looking up did me in. I wish I could recall the other methods in which I have caused myself this pain, but those will have to do for now. I continue to add to my list the things I should not do in order to avoid this pain, but I'm just going to have to continue taking my chances with the shampoo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment